IRTA is currently seeking an enthusiastic and motivated PhD candidate to join the Animal Health Program. We invite applications from ambitious candidates with relevant research experience and passion to conduct research and innovation activities on the development of data-driven decision support tools that offer robust and early signals of disease and/or welfare issues. The focus is on early warning systems that can detect signals of potential disease emergence or spread in pigs.
- Supervisor/s: Joaquim Segalés & Beatriz García.
- Job location: CReSA
- Full-time position (37.5 h/week).
- Terms of appointment: The duration of the PhD Candidate contract will be for one year, extendible by
yearly periods to a maximum of four (4) years.
- Salary: The financial remuneration for the PhD Student contract will be €1.329, 92/gross per month (€18.618’88/gross per annum) and for the first and second years. For this third year, it will be €1.424’91/gross per month (€19.948,74/gross per annum) and for the fourth year it will be €1.781,14/gross per month (€24.935,96/gross per annum) which will be subject to the corresponding withholdings, pursuant to prevailing regulations, and to the collective employment agreement of IRTA.
IRTA will also pay the fees of the doctoral school when receiving the enrolment. (1)
- Employee Benefits: 22 vacation days, 3 days of family & work conciliation, 45h of personal days, Friday afternoon off, Compressed Summer schedule from 15/06 to 15/09, Conciliation schedule.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Write a PhD thesis and publish scientific papers on the grounds of the PhD project.
- To perform literature review, data collection and management, involving statistical analysis and data visualization.
- To develop data-based tools to facilitate decision-making for the prevention and control of animal diseases.
- To contribute to the scientific production of the research activities of the research line.
- To contribute to the teamwork and team-spirit in the research line.
Required qualifications and experience
Candidates must comply with the following requirements:
- a) A Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, or Science-related field; or,
- b) A master’s in data science, artificial intelligence, (bio)statistics or disciplines related to data analysis and computation, or similar.
- c) To be in a position to access a doctoral program according to the requirements of Catalan universities, i.e. accrediting between 60 and 120 ECTS credits at the official university master’s degree level or equivalent.
- d) Not to have a previous PhD degree.
Candidates who have been chosen for an interview with the Selection Committee, should bring or send –for the interview- a certified copy of the degree and/or master, as well as the academic record showing the marks of all subjects studied.
- Strong motivation to work with different types of data in an applied scientific scenario.
- Programming skills (R and Python), communication (verbal and written) and statistical data analysis skills.
- Knowledge of Machine Learning tools.
- Capacity for learning and getting new skills and working capacities.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Prior experience in epidemiology, syndromic surveillance and/or animal health will be valued.
- Proficiency in English.
- Catalan and Spanish are valued.
If you wish to be considered for this position, please, apply via our Recruitment Platform to the job post with reference CPI0124 and upload your CV and motivation letter. All information will be treated in the strictest confidence.