The Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) is a cutting-edge institute addressing global public health challenges through research, translation into policy and education. ISGlobal has a broad portfolio in communicable and non-communicable diseases including environmental and climate determinants, and applies a multidisciplinary scientific approach ranging from the molecular to the population level. Research is organized in the following main areas, Malaria and other Infectious Diseases, Maternal, Child and reproductive Health, Urban Health and Child and environmental health, Climate & Non-Communicable Diseases. ISGlobal is accredited with the Severo Ochoa distinction, a seal of excellence of the Spanish Science Ministry.
«Programa Investigo», de contractació de persones joves demandants de feina en la realització d’iniciatives de recerca i innovació, en el marc del Pla de Recuperació, Transformació i Resiliència
What We Are Looking for
ISGlobal is seeking a qualified technician or early-career scientist who is interested in working on software engineering, scientific code development and databases harmonization for the Climate and Health Program. She/he will be in charge of the organization of the code repository for the different mathematical and statistical models of both infectious diseases and climate, as well as the development of new code and data exchange apps for the optimization of workflow among scientists in the Program. Depending on particular skills, participation on code optimization, code parallelization for intensive computing in clusters and digital platforms is also foreseen.
- This job description reflects the present requirements of the post but may evolve at any time in the future as duties and responsibilities change and/or develop providing there is appropriate consultation with the post-holder.
- This job description is not a definitive or exhaustive list of responsibilities but identifies the key responsibilities and tasks of the post holder. The specific objectives of the post holder will be subject to review as part of the individual professional assessment process.
- Training and experience /Qualifications
- Bachelor´s degree in data science, bioinformatics, statistics or similar degree and level. Additionally, a Master’s degree with strong analytics expertise in Data Science, Computer Science or similar will be valued.
Candidates are expected to have:
- Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics degree or related fields with focus on AI, Machine Learning or Data Science. Additional profiles will be considered if highly motivated researchers in other related disciplines decide to apply.·
- Solid programming experience in one or more general purpose programming language: Python, R, Scala
Proven experience developing algorithms or building data solutions, and integrating and managing datasets from multiple sources.
- Hands-on experience using one of the following deep learning libraries: Tensorflow, PyTorch or similar is desirable
- Experience of analyzing climate/clinical/healthcare data is desirable.
- Outstanding organisational skills
- Outstanding communications skills (necessary to ensure proper interaction with team mates)
- Strong motivation to engage in interdisciplinary and intersectoral activities
- Skills in writing and reporting
- Problem solving.
- Learning capacity.
The post holder will adhere to ISGlobal principles contained in People management policy, including Equity, diversity and health safety. The post holder will respect, and accountable to ensure ISGlobal policies and procedures.
- Spanish, Catalan C1 or above and English level B1 or above
- Duration: 24 months
- Starting date: One month after the closing date
- Contract: full time
- Salary Range: according to internal salary scale
The selection process is designed in two phases:
1- Interview phase of a technical nature, with the team that requires the incorporation. To assess the person’s skills and CV.
2 – Meeting with HR with the finalist(s) to finish assessing the profile and discuss contractual and institutional issues.
If needed any technical test could be pass. A Psychological Competency Evaluation Test will be required for the structural or transversal positions.
In accordance with the OTM-R principles, a gender-balanced recruitment panel is formed for every vacancy at the beginning of the process. After reviewing the content of the applications, the panel will start the interviews, with at least one technical and one administrative interview. A profile questionnaire as well as a technical exercise may be required during the process.
INVESTIGO Program Specific requirements
According to the specific requirements of the CALL INVESTIGO (RESOLUCIÓ REU/42/2022, de 17 de gener, CVE-DOGC-A-22018037-2022) the elegible candidates should fulfill the following criteria at the moment of the signature of the contract:
Be more than 16 years old and under 30 years old
Be registered at SOC (Servei Públic d’Ocupació de Catalunya) as job applicant
Not to have carried out any type of research activity in ISGlobal within 6 months immediately prior to the start of the contract.
Must meet the requirements for the type of contract to be formalized, and must be adjusted to the specific circumstances of each initiative, in accordance with current legislation.
These requirements must be met at the beginning of your participation in the program.
How to apply:
Applicants must fill in the request form and include the following code reference position: Technician_Maths_INVESTIGO_Aug22, attach the CV and a Cover Letter. Each attached document must be named with the candidate name and surname.
The receipt of applications will be open until 30/09/2022.
Applications will be accepted until 17.00 CET of the closing date.
Only the applications submitted through the request form will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The interviews could be placed during the reception candidatures period.
More information: link