Expert Mathematical Modelling
Unit: Scientific Methods and Standards
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control
Applications are invited for the above Temporary Agent post at the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC).
ECDC plans to recruit two persons for the above-mentioned vacancy. ECDC also aims to establish a reserve list, which may be used for any future vacancies in the area.
The post is located in the Scientific Process and Methods (SPM) Section, within which the jobholder will report to the Head of Section. The SPM Section is based within the Scientific Methods and Standards Unit. The jobholder will variously provide expertise and leadership on mathematical modelling to inform infectious disease prevention and control policy and the understanding and forecasting of trends and impacts of determinants and disease.
The jobholder will be responsible in particular for the following areas of work:
- Identify critical knowledge gaps for infectious disease prevention and control that can be addressed with mathematical modelling;
- Design, develop and apply mathematical models to address public health questions;
- Implement forecasting methods for infectious diseases and their determinants, presenting scenarios and quantifying uncertainty;
- Coordinate projects with a mathematical modelling scope involving experts across Units and Disease Programmes;
- Work closely with experts across ECDC (e.g. epidemiologists, statisticians, surveillance, epidemic intelligence, and disease experts) in order to acquire knowledge of available data that could be used for model parameterisation and calibration;
- Contribute to establishing and sustaining partnerships with existing modelling networks and experts within Member States’ public health institutes and academies;
- Propose methodological approaches for mathematical modelling and economic evaluations that can complement the development of ECDC’s outputs;
- Plan, draft, and project manage service contracts with external contractors in liaison with the procurement and finance sections at ECDC;
- Contribute to other activities of ECDC, as required, in his/her field of expertise;
- May be asked to contribute to the 24/7 duty system of ECDC.
More information at: link