Please see details below of the entry-level Biostatistician role that we are recruiting for with start dates in July 2019, September 2019 and January 2020. We have vacancies in our London, Cambridge and Singapore offices. We also have senior roles available, which require candidates with prior experience of project, client and team management.
About Costello Medical
Costello Medical provides scientific support in the analysis, interpretation and communication of clinical and health economic data. We have exciting opportunities to join our friendly and collaborative team to conduct a wide range of analyses, including of clinical trial data, to meet demand from both new and existing clients. The successful candidates will play a key role in shaping the future of Costello Medical’s statistics services.
Our Statistics team provide statistical and analytical expertise across Costello Medical, devising statistical analysis plans and performing data analysis within Excel, R, SAS and WinBUGS. They are also responsible for communicating the methodologies and results in both written and oral formats to drug and device manufacturers, doctors and reimbursement agencies such as NICE in the UK. The statistical analysis varies across patient-level clinical trial data, observational study data, real-world data and published aggregate data, and involves a range of techniques such as basic statistical analysis of individual patient data, regression analysis, survival analysis and Bayesian network meta-analysis using both standard and emerging methods.
Each member of our team typically works on several projects at one time and the results of each analysis can feed into publications, value materials, health economic models or health technology assessment submissions. You will therefore be exposed to a wide variety of the services offered by Costello Medical and a broad range of therapeutic areas. We are particularly keen to hear from talented and motivated individuals who could take on project management and client responsibility within six to twelve months, and who are keen to progress into a leadership role in the Statistics team. We also offer tailored career progression opportunities depending on individual strengths and interests, which could include a focus on technical excellence.
Some client meetings and congresses take place outside the UK, which presents opportunities for overseas travel.
Essential requirements for the role are:
- A degree level or higher qualification in a scientific or mathematical discipline (minimum 2.1) is required, although a Masters or PhD would be highly advantageous. A focus on statistics and data analysis is essential
- The technical and mathematical ability, coupled with the written and oral communication skills, to explain complex techniques and results to non-experts
- Proficiency in the R programming language, and the willingness and ability to rapidly develop your programming skills
- A willingness to trial, explore or recommend new software or techniques that may suit specific projects
- A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail, along with the ability to maintain a high level of customer service and the quality of deliverables under multiple competing demands
- Highly organised, with the flexibility to respond to changing deadlines
- The ability to use your initiative and work independently, in addition to working collaboratively within project teams
- Excellent written English is fundamental; this will be assessed during the selection process
Desirable requirements for the role are:
- Experience with SAS, or other programming languages used for data analysis
- Awareness of data standards for clinical research and statistical analysis (e.g. CDISC, SDTM, ADaM, ICH Statistical Principles for Clinical Trials, NICE DSU TSDs)
- Experience in and/or knowledge of clinical processes or trials
What We Offer
The starting salary for the Biostatistician role is £32,000 – £38,000 depending on your previous experience. Please click here to learn about our reward package and the other benefits of working for Costello Medical.